Saturday, April 18, 2015

Powerhouse Sandwich

I buy my sprouting seeds from Mumm's Sprouting Seeds Ltd. either online or at a hardware/gardening store. They take just a few days to grow and, aesthetically, look lovely on your window sill. Instructions are on the back of the seed package. My faves lately are broccoli, mung beans, and red-clover. I try to have a few mason jars of sprouts growing at all times. They are great in salads, but this weekend I have to feed a growing man, so I layered them into a sandwich with avocado, hummus, tomato, shredded carrot, lettuce, and salt and pepper. If I wasn't using living sprouts, I would have toasted the whole sandwich panini/cubano style, but instead I only toasted the bread. In a skillet, melt a tablespoon of coconut oil, then lie down seedy bread that's been patted with garlic salt and pepper. After it's golden brown, then build your sammies. The creamy hummus and avocado will seal in your sprouts and keep them from falling out. Be sure to salt and pepper each layer to bring out all the fresh-veggie layers. To achieve the same "pressed" sandwich feel, put a heavy pot on top and press down lightly. Slice on the diagonal and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment